SERIES: Certain Future
Week #6 – The Certain Return of Christ
BIG IDEA: The return of Christ is certain, and this certainty brings us hope.
Four Questions About the Return of Christ:
- Why will he return?
- To restore all things.
- When will he return?
- No one knows the time for certain.
- There are signs that the time is growing near.
- How should we live in the meantime? (Acts 1:8)
- On mission in the society and domains he places us in.
- Ready and longing for his return.
- How will he return?
- The same way he left.
Begin your session with prayer and use the following questions/discussion to get the conversation started…
Group Check In: Take some time to update each other through these questions:
Q: What is one thing you are celebrating?
Q: What is one challenge you are facing?
Q: What is one thing you are expectantly planning?
Q: What is one thing God is teaching?
Make a note of these things, especially the celebrations and challenges. Make a plan to follow-up with your members this week and see how things are going!
Use the following questions to guide your discussion.
Q: Re-read Acts 1:6-11. What do you think the disciples were feeling when Jesus ascended to heaven right before their eyes? What would you have been thinking and feeling at that moment?
Q: How would you define or explain the idea of “restoration?” What does it mean for Jesus to “restore all things?”
Q: If restoration is the mission of Jesus, how can we as His followers be about restoration here and now?
Q: Why do we focus so much on the “when” of Jesus’ return? How could this be both a positive and negative when it comes to life and faith?
Q: How do we live “ready and longing” for Jesus’ return? How is this practically reflected in our daily lives?
Q: How can the certainty of Christ’s return affect how we live our lives now? How can it affect how we view and respond to challenging and difficult times?
Q: What is your one major take-away from this week’s message?
Q: How is this take-away going to make a difference in your life this week?
The certain return of Jesus brings us hope, and hope helps strengthen our faith. The writer of Hebrews tells us: “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” (11:1) Faith is being certain of what we hope for even when we can’t see it.
Over these past weeks, Pastor Brian has walked us through our Certain Future. In the midst of a life and time when so much is uncertain, we can be certain of these things: the resurrection of Jesus, our resurrection, death, judgment, hell, heaven, and Christ’s return. As you look back over this past series, how has this certainty given you hope? How has God increased or strengthened your faith? Have your group members take some time to share their answers to these questions.
Conclude in prayer; thanking God for how he has worked in the lives of your group over these past weeks. Ask God to continue to allow the certainty of His teaching and promises to give us hope and a strong faith, especially as we face uncertain times.
Remind your groups about the exciting opportunities coming in the weeks ahead:
- Regathering: Worship in-person and on-line May 31st! New services times are 8:30am, 10:30am, and 12:30pm. Registration is required for in-person services. Go to www.bayarea.church to register.
- Blood Drive: Serve the 4B Area by helping our local blood centers care for others. June 3 & 4 in the BACS Athletic Center. Appointments needed so sign up at www.bayarea.church/donate. The sponsor code is BAC1.
- Church on Your Street: Love, serve, and pray for those closest to you…on your street! Go to www.bayarea.church/live and click on the “Church on Your Street” icon.
Finally, encourage your group to participate in the Psalms Bible reading plan that is posted at www.bayarea.church/live as well.
SCRIPTURES FROM THIS WEEK’S MESSAGE:
- Acts 1:6-11, Matthew 24:36, 24:14-30, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-10, Romans 11:12, 25-26, Matthew 24:44, Titus 2:11-13, Revelation 1:6-11, 22:20, Revelation 22:20
- Supplemental for LifeGroups: Matthew 24:44, John 14:3, Acts 1:11, 1 Thessalonians 4:16, Hebrews 9:28, James 5:8, 1 Peter 3:10, 1 John 3:2, Revelation 22:20).
NEXT WEEK’S MESSAGE: New Series: What Am I Doing with My Life?