SERIES: What Am I Doing with My Life?
Week #1 – Being Satisfied in Life
BIG IDEA: True satisfaction in life is only found in God.
Life is hard. Leadership can be a burden. Moses’ prayer gives us a picture of both where and how we can find true satisfaction in life.
- Be Honest About the Glory of God and the Brevity of Life (Ps. 90:1-11)
- Purposed because God promised it and prepared it.
- Perfect because there is no sin.
- Paradise restored – God with us.
- Five Foundational Prayer Points for True Life Satisfaction (Ps. 90:12-17)
- Ask God to teach us to number our days that we may gain wisdom.
- Ask God to satisfy us and give us gladness with His steadfast love.
- Ask God to show His work and power to us and the next generation.
- Ask God for His favor.
- Ask God to establish the work of our hands.
Begin your session with prayer and use the following questions/discussion to get the conversation started…
Q: Can you think of different times or seasons in your life when you asked yourself the question, “What am I doing with my life?” If you are willing to share, what were the circumstances during that time? How did you navigate that time after asking yourself that question?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: Ask and discuss the following questions
Q: What are things that people typically look to find satisfaction in life? What is the problem with looking to these things for satisfaction?
Q: How does operating with a right view of who God is help us as we seek satisfaction?
Q: In what ways is the satisfaction that God is offering different from any other source of satisfaction?
Q: Do you think that most people settle for lesser sources of satisfaction? Explain why or why not.
Q: What does Moses present in Ps. 90 that helps us fight against settling for lesser sources of satisfaction in life? (5 prayer points – v. 12-17)
Q: Which of the aspects of God’s character from Ps. 90 1-11 do you find particularly helpful when thinking about being satisfied in life? Explain your answer. (5 were listed – God is our everlasting home/refuge, God is sovereign over our life and death, God is above time, our earthly life is short, our sin incurs the wrath of God. – v. 12-17)
Q: Do you think that most people are asking God to “teach them to number their days”? Explain why or why not. How does praying this promote satisfaction?
Q: What do you think that it looks like for someone to be satisfied by God’s steadfast love?
Q: Were there any other takeaways from this Sunday’s message?
Q: What are you going to do in response to this Sunday’s message? How can you apply these truths to your life over the next seven days?
End your time together by distributing each of the 5 prayer points for true life satisfaction to different people. Spend some time praying through each of these points.
- Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom
- Satisfy us and give us gladness with God’s steadfast love
- Show God’s work and power to us and the next generation
- For God’s favor
- Establish the work of our hands
It’s not too late to sign-up for our Blood Drive happening in the Athletic Center June 3 & 4. Sign up at www.bayarea.church/donate. The sponsor code is BAC1.
We are worshipping in person and on line! If group members are ready to worship in person, they can go to www.bayarea.church/regather to register for next week’s service. Note: everyone must register every week. If they would rather continue worshipping at home, they can go to www.bayarea.church/live for the live link and on line resources.
Encourage your group to participate in the Psalms Bible reading plan that is posted at www.bayarea.church/live as well.
SCRIPTURES FROM THIS WEEK’S MESSAGE:
- Ps. 39:4, Micah 7:18, Ps. 34:8, Ps. 30:11, Ps. 78, Ps. 84:11, Jn. 15:7-8
NEXT WEEK’S MESSAGE: What am I Doing with My Life? – Part 2