Q5: What else did God create?
A: God created all things, and all his creation was very good. (Crossway 2017)
Genesis 1:31 “And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good…” (ESV)
The Vertical Truth in Faith – What does this truth mean in my relationship with God?
The testimony of God’s Word is that God spoke everything into existence. He said, and it was. “And God said, ‘Let there be light…’” Genesis 1:3. He didn’t need a supply of material to make things. He made it all “ex nihilo,” or out of nothing. In God’s almighty power and infinite, loving wisdom, he created the universe – the galaxies, the earth, water, plants, animals, insects, sea creatures, you and I – everything. “And God saw everything he had made, and behold, it was very good” Genesis 1:31. Everything that God created was intended for his glory and delight. You were created for his glory and delight. There are many ways in which creation reveals something of the nature and character of God to us.
- Psalm 19:1-2 “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.
- Hebrews 1:3 “He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high”
The Horizontal Truth in Love – What does this truth mean in my relationship with humanity?
One foundational question mankind has been grappling with as long as we’ve been here has been “how did it all begin?” Was there some small dot of matter in the beginning that spontaneously exploded into everything we see? This question will enable us to think more deeply about the doctrine of creation. It will help us understand that the world came into being through purposeful creation. Take time to dig a little deeper into the Genesis 1:1-31 account to see the presence of the triune God at the dawn of creation. Hopefully we will find the joy in understanding more of God’s creative purpose in his world and see clearly that the world was made for God’s glory and delight. God is intimately involved in his world; he did not just set it up and then retreat back to heaven. God is constantly sustaining everything in his world, and that includes you.
All of creation shows that humanity has great value, and it shows that every person is made for the purpose of being in relationship to their creator, the one who made them (Psalm 100:3). The best way to live in God’s creation is to humbly serve those around us, care for them, treat them with dignity and respect, no matter their background, and love them as children of God, inviting them to know Jesus Christ, the Savior of all humanity (Philippians 2:1-11).
- Romans 1:19-20 “For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”
Practical Truth in Action – How can I put this truth into action?
Are there aspects of creation that bring you joy and cause you to praise God for the beauty of the world? Remember that God is powerful, creative, and beautiful, and he has an awesome imagination. Creation is intended to bring God great glory, honor and praise. God delights in his creation, and we are invited to delight in it, too. How can we put into action our belief that God created everything? During your time alone with God, reflect on and write down the ways God’s creation brings you joy. When you discover that joy, using your gifts will allow you to become more productive in serving others and more intuitive in meeting the needs of those around you. The best practice is going beyond yourself, stepping out of your comfort zone, and helping those in need.
- Genesis 1:31 “And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
- Colossians 1:17 “And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
- Hebrews 3:3-4 “For Jesus has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses – as much glory as the builder of a house has more honor that the house itself. (For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.”
The amazing God who exists and who created all things has made it possible to know him personally. While we can see and understand things about him through his creation, we can only know him personally through a faith relationship with his son, Jesus Christ.